Jul 14, 2013

Lightyears away

For a lot of us, success in any area of our lives seemingly looks so remote. So distant, that it its simply impossible to accomplish within our very own lifetime. We pat ourselves in the back, toast whatever average success we earned, and retire to our beds at night hoping and praying that our kids would be our best chance to claim our dream that's just too damn illusive as a 50-peso bill in Edsa during Christmas season!

I bet that's why most of the stories we hear growing up includes anecdotes of how our folks had "almost" made it. These anecdotes typically starts with the transitive verbs: would've, should've, or could've, and  ends with that 19th century appeal to the senses : "if I only did such and such... "

I have always enjoyed listening to stories like this. Maybe because, some where a long the line, I know that there will be a story that you could learn from. Or maybe, because I always thought that they too made several amateur mistakes in their lives. That they don't always do the right things... that they are just like you and me... Or maybe, that they're just making excuses cause they obviously didn't meet the "grade"; or had the "stuff" to get them through.

I feel ashamed now of how I thought back then.

Whenever I failed at something important, I always go back to my dad... some times demanding an audience to spill my own "would/should/could" story.... Some how, seeking my own retribution from him or from a family member....

The tables have indeed turned.

I wonder of what my eldest is thinking whenever my wife and I talk about my "would/should/could" story?

Maybe. like my dad, I would be listening to their own stories soon, when they grow up....

No comments: