Dec 18, 2008

Excited over Outlook by July 2009

I never thought I'd be this much excited over Microsoft Outlook! Today, a circular memo from the intranet web-board came stating that the enterprise is already in the process of fully migrating the email services to Microsoft's Outlook Client, EOD: July of 2009.

For sometime now, I've been including brushing off sessions to my daily to-do list on IBM's Lotus Notes. Re-learning the ins and outs of the email client application that seemed like it was from the Cenozoic era and looked like it's been recently unearthed from the excavation sites off king Tut's family grave pit.

Don't get me wrong though - I did have some relatively fond memories of Notes (around when I was on kindergarten, if memory serves my right...), but as time went by and I was inescapably exposed to the better features, flexibility and just the outright decent aesthetics of Microsoft's Outlook client, I found myself slowly being seduced to the windows side of the force.

I never looked back after that.

But, with my new job, it meant that I have to once again, face this friend from eons back.

I tried my best to rekindle the lost knowledge and even got to a point when I was actually customizing database modules integrating the calendar tool with task lists on Notes as I struggle the entire last week trying to structure my email folders and email preferences.

Something else snagged my thoughts though - I wonder if this plan to switch to Outlook is actually clue to the enterprise's ultimate goal of putting everyone on an electronic leash as it conveniently coincides with last weeks circular about the company issuing managers with Blackberries....

hmmmm, smells like a conspiracy theory to me.... will post an update with this mystery as information becomes available...

No comments: