Mar 12, 2009

The Man from Manila, dead at 44 YO

Francis Magalona, was pronounced dead at around 12 PM on Friday, March 6th 2009, after a brief, but nonetheless well fought, bout with Acute Myeloid Leukemia since it was diagnosed on August 8th 2008.

His passing has turned out mixed emotions from me. Personally, I wasn't always giving him high regards. I felt a little distressed when I first hear his single "Mga kababayan".

I mean, admittedly, the song has a catchy sort of spunk, but it just too darn right commercialized.

And personally, I wasn't really into the whole rap thing back then - I felt grown men singing nursery rhyme-ish tunes were just down right silly... just think of Vanilla Ice back in the days and you'll understand what I'm trying to get at here....

I thought that its another cheap stunt to save a then, childstar hasbeen's career from the dumpster.

Most of the time, that's how I always tag people in the commercial showbusiness industry --- just another wannabee jumping in the band wagon, think, Carlos Agassi (aka. Fag-in-skidz-clothing) during the height of his so called "rap career".

Anyway, the following interludes to Francis M's single however, finally caught my attention.

It is his commitment to a recurring theme in his compositions that made me realize that he might actually be the real deal...

It's the nationalistic message interlaced with his songs, and actual compositions that talks about something sensible, that changed my impression.

Throughout highschool, I remember listening to his songs (with the Jimmy Hendrix reminicent riffs on his other single "Kaleidoscope World"), courtesy of my younger brothers collection, and being moved (somewhat) by how cunningly his words reflect some of my thoughts at that time...

His "lyricism" served as the battlecry of the youth (at least to me and a couple of my friends), in the midst of the wave of punk, death, pop, and funk rock that plied the airwaves back then.

I guess that's how Francis M's songs appealled to many of our kababayans... He's one of those people who could influence you by merely mirroring what the world is to all of us... not unlike the late hip hop great Tupac....

The man from Manila, will surely be missed....

No comments: