Apr 27, 2009

If you can't face the heat...

Today, I just realized that the global warming crisis might be contributing more than adding an extra 1-2 meters of the sea levels, or skewing the weather systems...

I am not a believer of astrology in general, but I think that the recent turn of events on the weather. might be playing a part on the level of stress, exhaustion and mentality of people around workplaces.

I'm not sure if it's just me, but for some reason, things are getting awfully stressful in my workplace. Between the deadlines and resource managing, the projects and tasks seems to be escalating, both in complexity and in nature.

I've been through several similar circumstances, but there would be immediate reprieve if for example, you could get a key task item in the green. Now, its a little more of one item - green, another item - turns amber (or God forbid, just blares out 'Red').

Key in project managing is identifying and documenting known (and on some extent, unknown) risks and dependencies. It's the basic foundation for a sound management in all aspects - may it be for business, personal decisions, or projects.

It turns out that as summer approaches in the States, people suddenly turned into little 'energizer bunnies' raring to run amock at the drop of a hat.

Not helping at all on my now, growing remorse over my current employment detail, which by the is still reserved from judgement - since I've been in 'Disneyland' for the past 2 or so years in my previous career.

Reflecting on the nature of my current firm, I am, at this point, unsure at how to react to this new cascade of stimulus. I'm always telling myself that it's probably the age that getting to me, turning 30 this year, I am practically mortified that I've already explored the extent of my technical and personal skills. I am worried that I've already saturated myself from adjusting, empowering, or updating any of the key weapons that I have in my armory, when it comes to employment and employability.

In the not so distant past, I fancy myself as a quick-to-respond, flexible, dynamic person, just ready to take in the next worthy challenge - careerwise, that is. But now, I'm finding myself asking a break to soak in what is happening.

I think the problem really is, I've been indulging on my vanity all this time that when reality finally caught me, I've completely forgotten how to react and how to fight back.

In other words, I think I might be on my way to a career/skill recession...

What about you? How did you cope/manage that feeling of being overwhelmed from a career perspective? Did you take meds? Yoga? Alternative theraphies like sky diving? Appreciate if you guys could say your piece on this one...

No comments: