May 6, 2010

Paid Professional


Every once in a while we come across a sort of a "life changing" question...

Questions like, "Is there an afterlife?" or "How can I ensure that I'd be on His good-side on the final judgement?".... and finally, the eternal question that you'd neither admit or deny asking (at least once in your life) - "Doc, why does it burn when I pee??"

Hehehe... just kidding...! (but if the last question was true for you, better checked with your Heath Care Policy if it covers this illness category...)


Anyway - the only real question that has been giving me sweat-filled-sleepless waking nights (no, not that other dream, you dirty bastard!) is this....

"Does loyalty in a company still matter in today's career landscape?"

Obviously, I'd need to clue most of you folks in so you all can understand what the heck am I talking about....

Around 1-2 months back I left the company that promised me they'll be bringing me to the "land of the free"... don't get me wrong... its with one of the few corporate superpowers that remained with the aftermath of the 2009 financial crisis in the States...

Yep.... that lying bitch-of-a-company made me so excited that I jumped ship soon after the job offer was signed... I have left a good company in the gulf where I supposed I would have a laid back, semi-stress-free, quite-happy life... *big sigh...

It took over a year for me to realize that I might have made a "slight minuscule miscalculation" before calling it quits with them....

And then there's this company I'm in right now....

The one I'm with right now is pretty decent too.... its one of the bigwig I.T. brand companies out there... but the (sorry-excuse-of-a-) local management just stank rotten of nepotism, bureaucracy, horse-shit policies, and "political appointments" since day one....

Its not been 2 weeks when I joined that I know I needed to escape again... and soon!

Now, here's my underlying problem....

It's not that I can't get another job tomorrow, if I so choose, cause at this point, I don't think I'd have any problem in that category...

It's just that, the compensation rate I'm demanding now... is not really a job that you can find in the Sunday paper's "Wanted Ads" if you know what I'm saying....

There's just too few company in the country right now which could fit my needs.... too few in fact, that I need to subscribe a professional headhunter to get me listed on these "few" companies...

What's worse is, that since the so called "supply" of pro folks are rare, you'd think that the demand (jobs) should be that "intense"... right??? Wrong!

Another case where the law of Supply-and-Demand fails...

So there... with the current limitations on getting a decent job out there (most notable in the IT Industry), do you think staying with a company long enough to give you a wrist watch (for your birthday), is still acceptable???

No comments: