Jun 17, 2010

Parental Guidance

I often wonder whether there's some truth on the notion that most of us measure ourselves against our parents' achievements, or on how we've "faithfully reproduced" their expectations or counsel....

Okay, so most of my friends' folks have done very well for themselves, given whatever daunting odds that they have to overcome then...

I've heard stories like this growing up from my aunts/uncles - about how my dad or mom made their brilliant plans a reality but it has never truly impacted me until I started to notice something from myself lately....

I started to notice that most of my decisions in life are either based from consultation with mom/dad (okay, so me marrying at 19 YO doesn't count) or based on what I'd think they'd do if faced with a similar dilemma....

This made me think of two things... First, will it be accurate to say that if you have successful parents, your "chances" of being successful increases too? and Secondly, are we all but pawns in the grand design of life that we all look to our folks for counsel or advise for most of our decisions?

I'm sure that this might not be the same for all of us, but I guess it should be a very obvious phenomenon in most societies....

The sad thing is, I always believe that I am my own driver... yet for the past decade or so, I never really had a stake with the really tough decisions that came my way to date!

I don't know about you - but I suspect that this is the same for most of us, even for those whose parents are in the *not so great category.... we always look up to our parents for counsel even if we all grow a little older....

It's a good thing my parents did a very good job for themselves, otherwise, I'll be left to figure out stuff for myself - which after this reflection, looks like a very scary thought!

I can't thank my parents enough for being who they are, and although I'm at the helm of a family of my own, I'd never think twice on seeking their counsel for even the quaintest (sometimes pointless???) aspects in my life.

Thank you for all the sacrifices and compassion! I just wish my mom is still here, so I can show her how much I truly appreciate and treasure her.

And my dad - you know very well how much you mean to me, you're absolutely the reason why I strive to challenge myself amidst the odds to become a better person that I am or was...

I know I missed Mother's Day, but to me, there should also be a "Parent's Day" on top of the two other parental holidays....



Happy Father's day to all the dad's out there - most especially to my dad!

No comments: