Mar 18, 2014

Glorified Secretary

Corporate life used to be simple...

You know what your role is... your set of responsibilities, and most importantly, you know how to carry them out...

For over a decade and a half I've done my best to ensure that I discharge my duties as efficiently as one can... I have proven and had distinguished myself from the average Joe...

Until now...

Having been told that I am no longer but a "Glorified Secretary" sends me in to a dark place...

Despite my flashy work title and higher pay, I cannot seem to shake-off being disappointed at my new job...

Being in IT all my life, I thought I got everything figured out... I now face an alien juncture in my path... I am forced to either swallow the bitter pill and accept my circumstances, or ship-out and accept defeat...

There is a lot riding into this decision... family, friends, and colleagues from previous work engagements are all cheering me to carry on the fight... but how can one simply say to one's self to forget every damn thing you've worked for and just "enjoy the show"?

I'm sure a lot of people would not have second thoughts and would gladly trade places with mine without second guessing...

A handsome pay for a relatively carefree job does sound really enticing... but only on paper...

Colleagues tell me to vent my technical appetite elsewhere and just enjoy it while it lasts... a fair advise, considering that it is indeed a chance of a lifetime...

Am I out of line when I demand the same level of professionalism and order in ebery workplace I go? Is it really so repulsive to practice and apply the standards and expectations that like I have done so in my entire career?

What do you do then when everybody tells you, "its not your place to do this or that" and when its at their convenience, blame you if their very decisions causes the problem? Pointing the finger like it was your fault for not insisting your case enough that they have no option but to make a choice...

I seriously need to reassess my strategy if I am ever going to be part of this "circus" for the long run...

My superiors tell me not to "over engineer" the matters and just carry on as I was told...

there's just one problem...

I dont know how to do my job any other way... It is really heartbreaking to strip down your work ethics into "bare essentials" for fear of being rejected by a system that has systematically accepted complacency versus professionalism...

*big sigh*

No comments: