Mar 16, 2014

A regretful yet hope-filled outlook for my posterity...

It has been roughly 6-months now since I decided to again venture overseas to seek better economic circumstances...

It goes without saying that my initial appetite for excitement has now settled down to a textbook case where I am again questioning why I came here in the first place... having all this time to witness the goings-on of locals and similar expat families here, make you confront life's uncertainties on a daily basis.

It was never really about whether I made the better decision or not... the circumstances is never ideal - afterall making a living in a foreign land seems to be the only option for most Filipinos.

As I write this, I am beginning to slowly accept my fate... it has become clear that I will not be able to reign economic security for myself and family if I will stay home... everyday I have to repress all the frustrations I feel for working in a culturally "difficult" professional environment, for the sake of a better future's promise.

But is all the sacrifice worth it in the end, is the million dollar question, isn't it?

Being a 2nd generation migrant worker myself, I know first hand how difficult it is for OFW kids to find success especially if they will be repatriating back to the Philippines later in life for college or work.

I have witnessed some success stories from personal friends and acquaintances, mostly though were stories depicting otherwise...

People begin to understand how things are more difficult for children raised overseas to compete in the cut-throat reality back home. For most expat parents, what was once a vision of high hope for their kids' future, have turned into nightmare and disappointment.

I sincerely hope that when the time comes, my own kids will realize their own dreams despite my own inability to ensure it for them...

I pray that the Lord watch over them in as much that he has watched over me...

No comments: