Jan 6, 2009

First things first

During the last holiday break, I got to think about my immediate plans for the coming year. Obviously, I need to put my foot down on some of these decisions since it's going to be the pivot points on all my other plans for the coming year.

First on the list is whether or not to move into an apartment of our own. Although the proposition is fairly straight forward, there are some valid considerations that is making it difficult for me to make up my mind. Its is a fact that by staying with my in-law's, I'll have the potential to save about 60% of my income. Now, take note that I've emphasized the word "potential" since its never been documented that I actually saved anything in the past based on this premise.

Another consideration is that fact that my eldest schooling commute will be thrown out of track once we decide to move. Then there is also some of the less important points like, whether we would require an in-house child care, house help, different commuting arrangements, apply for a telephone and Internet service, furniture, and appliances thats adding into the difficulty of making the decision to get an apartment.

Second on the list is whether to take a car loan this time around. Obviously, we will require some form of transportation, regardless if its brand new or not. Taking up car loans are becoming common place now a days, and I really need it because of my office timings and other circumstances. As it is now, my in-laws has been kind enough to lend me their rides for me to use going to work. The problem is, like anything on time-share I will always need to get their approval whenever I need to use it on other occasions, personal or otherwise.

Third on the list is whether it's the right time to put up a business and if it is, which one? Since its very easy to follow the current fad, it's become too much of a pain to go through several choices on kiosk type business offerings because of the sheer number of them.

I mean, nothing against this idea, but I wanted to establish something which I am more familiar with or at least something which I am/will be passionate about. I don't want to end folding-up a couple of months down the road simply because its not interesting enough for me follow-up on. I know that a lot of people think that now a days, putting these kinds of businesses is like going to grocery and picking what you want. I think this is what most of the people's sentiment are because its cheap enough (some starting as low as 15K to start) to forgive themselves from once it doesn't work out. I am actually looking on similar business opportunities as well as non-conventional ones like e-commerce, foreign exchange, and the stock market. I even wanted to take into a second job (online consultancy or freelancing) just to pool-in more income. I will try to put down a more comprehensive post about this on my coming posts.

Finally, the last thing on my list of agendas for this coming year is whether or not to explore other opportunities before the end of this year; or stay for sometime with my current one. This has been the underlying question of my entire life. For some reason, I cannot see myself staying for more than 3 years in any company. Although I always end up giving reasons to justify myself, I somehow cannot resolve the fact that I need to build myself a career with a company since I am no longer getting any younger. There's a part of me which agrees to that statement, and there's a part that don't. Either way, I need to get a clue and figure this one out hopefully soon!

I guess that pretty much is that! What about you? What are your plans or goals for the coming year? Mind sharing them here?

No comments: