Jan 28, 2009

Why risk takers are the way they are

There is a saying that - "it is better to have nothing at all as long as you have your health"


Indeed, for most of us in the working class strata of society, this is the undisputed truth.


Being in a third world country doesn't give you much choice on the kinds of jobs (with decent compensation) you can take. We often allow ourselves to be on a particular job, for the sad truth that these jobs offer better pay.


We shrug off common sense and simply condition ourselves to the realities of that job and pray to god that we don't become a Department of Health statistic soon enough.


Although there is no clinical studies correlating health and working on the night shift, we cannot discount facts that your entire lifestyle, sleep patterns, and even eating habits would've changed. This might eventually contribute to the assumption mentioned above.


The reality is, regardless of whether or not we intend to stay on this kind of a job, once your health is affected, then no compensation worth reversing the effects of poor health.


It is this sad fact that most of us "night-walkers" often take to mind but hardly mind at all.

Given the evidence, the question that might linger on to your minds is why take the job in the first place...? It's true that my present job has brought back to unhealthy habits - smoking, bad diet, no exercise... I am pursuing better judgement and swore to either stop or minimize them in the near future...

So, what is the reason behind my apparent questionable decision to trade the luxury, compensation, and security I had working overseas...?

Like what I said... I am an eternal idealist!

People told me its my fatal flaw - something which would cause me more harm than anything I've done to myself. I know that being so, I need to be cautious of decisions like these... like moving to another country or getting a property - I should have poured-in more time to think things thoroughly...

But the call of a challenge is what gets me fired-up. Routine lifestyle, and comfortably settling into a career may be appealing to most people - but sadly, the case is not the same for me.

Although I understood that in time, I have to basically settle into a job I can retire with, at present, I am still undeniably fascinated with the amount of learning and skill I am acquiring each day.

As a consolation to myself --- I humbly believe that by being as I am now, I have not just made strides but gallops over my career as a technologist. I pride myself at being regarded as one of those few whose already made mark on the niche belonging to top management of a multinational company, by the age of 29.

I don't want to brag or bring any malice over this claim - I simply wanted to point out, that this is may not be the case, if not for the my fatal flaw.

Somehow, somewhere, I may one day finally decide to sit back and settle on a high paying career, with a mahogany stained desk, and a rather pleasing 9-5 work hour; motivated only by morning caffeine, the daily broadsheet, and the office commute...

...hopefully though, this is not too soon... =)

No comments: