Mar 20, 2008

Cultural Difference

I've been through a lot these past week... with all the hassle I have to go through in preparation with my family's arrival by the end of the month, I have realized one thing - there is wisdom with the Forrest Gump tagline "Stupid is what stupid does...."

Lately, I've become extremely intolerant and at most, confrontational whenever stupidy is nearby... I think I'm allergic to stupid people because I've noticed a change in my breathing whenever I'm around them... I've also noticed that I break-out into bouts of mind-less taunting, name calling and cold sweats, whenever I am forced to engage them...

Although being confrontational and morbidly intolerant does have it's plus points, you can't help but think if, somehow, it'll all come back to you--- "What goes around, comes around"...

I think this is one of the reason and the biggest deterrent for us Filipinos.... I mean, growing up... we were taught to respect individuals and to be understanding and patient... anything else than that would be rude and unbecoming....

But as you go through life, you end up questioning its relevance in your day-to-day dealings.... Take my case for example... I've observed that every time I act nice to these marginalized people (aka. stupid people), I end up paying for it... moronic people simply do not reciprocate acts of kindness anymore...

Maybe its because I'm dealing with people who's coming from a different cultural background than mine... maybe, in their culture.... it is not rude to be complete moron whose work ethic is similar to a baboon on meth, with a skill level and professionalism that closely resembles a 4 year old child with down syndrome.....

How can we hold our sanity when the reason behind it all is cultural difference? Hmmm, thats a tough one..... It's a sensitive issue indeed... One can never take these things lightly.... But, if I'd have one suggestion on the matter - it would be Selective Extermination....

After all, if we can teach our kids the value of being competitive and doing well in school and work... then we all have the responsibilty to protect them from being exposed to idiocy and people who practice them....

Add to Technorati Favorites

No comments: