Sep 29, 2010

Outlook on financial independence

Today's traditional context of income generation, for most families, primarily includes a 9-5 job, for either or both spouses. 


Some bold souls, actually engages, every once and a while into small business ventures - with less coming back for more, if they experience failure.


And then there's people like "Us"....


Folks who more or less are passionate about breaking out of the rat race. We certainly have not problem hatching ideas, or scheming ventures, and dreaming our way to kingdom come about a future free from the shackles of an "employment driven life"... 


Dreamers, basically that are too "preoccupied" with the responsibilities and are down right afraid of the risks that beset most contemporary families - in other words, folks who are scared $hitless to take the risk, but plans and plans and plans their exit goals to their hearts content...!


I've recently started, taking a conservative approach to breaking out of the rat race, instead of the big bang approach I've been trying to scheme since I turned 16. I've tried venturing into passive income generation, through time deposits and investments - particularly, through stock market trading.


Although, I admit, my capital gains are infinitesimal and laughable at best (performing less than 6% on average), I'm happy to see the actual "concepts" at work. But with such a poor return on investment ratio, I'm beginning to suspect that I would essentially need to venture into more "active investment" activities, if I would like to escape the rat race sooner.


But, for obvious reasons, I'm not really that motivated to go to that point yet - I'm dragging my ass to get there actually. I'm still plagued with challenges in areas that I should have mastered years before - stuff like, how wrangle my budget plan into submission, and time management.


So we come to the part where I would like to turn to you... my readers, and pose you these question: 


1) How many have tried breaking out of the rat race through stock market activities only? (**Those trading millions to begin with are excused - skip to question 2)
2) How long did it take you to break out of the race?
3) How much was your initial investment when you had you're first venture?
4) If you'll have a chance to go back in time and change anything that you did to this point, what would you change?


I'm hopeful that with your insights, I could finally make amends with my inner fears and make that choice to actively run after my dreams!

No comments: